Monday, May 19, 2008

ROCKCRUSHER

The 4th race of the SCRCS was in Louisville, MS close to Starkville, home of the Bulldogs. Rightfully so, the name of the race is Rockcrusher and there ain't much rock. The race is always well run and very professional, as grass roots racing gets.

My buddy Max and I rode up together Saturday morning and like always I was late...our plans were to meet at the trails around 10:30am, we got there about 12:30...anyway, we were also worried that that the trails would be too wet from the 3 inches of rain two days prior, wasn't bad at all...on the pre ride...good hour workout, 700ft of climbing, 7.6 miles, avg hr 139, this was to be the last short loop of the course, we pre rode the long 11+ mile loop the weekend before a couple times. It was tough...1100ft of climbing per lap, techy sections, fast bench cut single track...

The race went OK...there was about 9 19-39 experts that started together. Started 4th in the woods, the first 2 miles were tough...tight single track and 2 good little climbs to break things up nicely, and it did just that. The semi pro got off the front pretty quick...Tre, Billy and I were in the chase group...on the second climb Billy and I went around Tre...Billy and I rode together for less than a mile and he pulled away from me...it stayed that way the rest of the 3 hr race...ouch! Once I got done, I was told that the semi pro took the turn at the intersection of the long/short lap and was about 3 miles behind us...great news for me...I hate to take the glory in that way but a wins a win...?!

updated with podium pic...